Asking "W" questions can be helpful for perspective, and to reveal opportunities for innovation:
- What is our purpose, stated as a mantra?
- What are our values? In other words, “We are at our best when…”
- What is the customer’s real problem that they are seeking to solve?
- What is the customer really buying? Is it part of a solution to a larger problem?
- What value are we providing?
- What resources do we have? How can they be reconfigured to provide new value?
- What is true? In other words, describe the present situation in its harsh reality.
- Which unexpected successes have we observed?
- Which unexpected failures have we observed?
- Which outcome do we wish to achieve?
- What is the next action necessary to achieve that outcome?
Lather, rinse, repeat.